When Year 2 students start learning ICT, some will have either never used a computer or had very little experience using a computer. It is thus important to start from level zero and slowly build upwards. The first year is therefore aimed at helping students get to the point where they can start some parts of the “Cambridge ICT Starters: Initial Steps” Syllabus. In particular, they will start some aspects of Unit 1 “Starting with Text”, Unit 5 “Starting Searches”, and Unit 6 “Starting email”. They will also go through all the skills of Unit 2 “Starting images” using MS Paint.
Year 2 – ICT
Below is a break overview of what Year 2 cover in Semester 1:
- The ICT rules and learning how to learn in class
- Names of the main hardware components (Mouse, Keyboard, Base Unit, and Monitor)
- How to switch on/off the computer and the monitor
- Basic mouse skills (moving the cursor & single left click) using the Altervista website
- Introduction to the keyboard
- Differences between delete and backspace keys
- Differences between shift and caps lock for capitalization
- Using shift key to create characters
- Differences between numerical lock, caps lock, and scroll lock
- Using the Ctrl key with two key letters (S, O) to start learning about important shortcuts
- How to log on with passwords
- Familiarity with the desktop (search box, and icons)
- Double-clicking application icons to open them
- How to use the search box to find my “documents” area, a file, an application, etc.
- How to open the Internet and some of its features (address bar, home button, forwards, backward, etc.)
- Introduce them to a few key websites they will use (Google, ABCYA.com, etc.)
- How to open Microsoft Word and create a new document
- Writing and editing text in Microsoft Word.
- Opening the Internet and finding a website about poems. Stage one – find a short poem and write it word for word to practice typing and spelling skills.
- Highlighting some text or an object using the mouse or double-clicking to highlight a word and triple-clicking to highlight a sentence
- Right-clicking to open the context menu, how to copy and paste using the context menu. How to copy and paste using Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V
- Opening the Internet and finding a website about poems. Stage two – find a short poem, copy and paste it into MS Word.
- How to format text in Microsoft Word
- Moving and dragging some text or an object from one part of the document to another
- How to save and open work from my “documents” area
- Understand some basic Esafety concepts
- Open the internet and learn how to search for an image safely
- How to save an image from the internet into my “documents” area
- Go through all the skills in Unit 2 “Starting images” in MS Paint completely as it helps to reaffirm mouse skills and many of the basic skills covered so far.
- How to open the Cartoonify website and create a fun avatar of themselves.
- Open Microsoft Powerpoint and use the avatar. The students will learn how to create an “All about me” slideshow. At this stage, I will not go through more advanced tools such as transitions, etc. At this stage, the students simply become familiar with Powerpoint to make presentations.
- How to insert an image from my “documents” area into a Powerpoint slideshow
- Formatting images inserted into Powerpoint
- Inserting clip art into Powerpoint and how to format it.
- Rotating and resizing clip art.
- Using some of their mouse skills again to make sure they can move items, copy and paste items, cutting items, select items, format them, deleting items, etc.
- Getting used to editing text boxes in Powerpoint and formatting them
- How to log into the LMS with their student email address. Examining the LMS. Uploading their avatar to their personal profile picture and quickly discussing why (Esafety)
- How to create an email using the LMS
- How to attach a file to an LMS email
- How to write an email and how to send it
- How to upload documents to the LMS (Submit an assignment)
- How to download documents
- How to find “Downloads” from the Open menu
- How to open the file explorer window to find Downloads, my documents, etc.
For more information, please do contact me
- Lectures 9
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 25 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 26
- Assessments Yes