Year 3 students will go through many of the Year 2 skills and knowledge in more depth as well as go through some new ones. They will officially start the “Cambridge ICT Starters: Initial Steps” Syllabus. Cambridge ICT Starters: Initial Steps has been designed to support learners who are following the Cambridge Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Starters syllabus. This book provides full coverage of all the modules. The sections of the book correspond to the modules and follow the order in which the modules appear in the syllabus. The book builds on keyboard skills and basic routines, such as emailing, handling data, spreadsheet management, creating and editing written work, and handling images. The activities in the book use Microsoft ® Office 2007 software and Windows ® 7.
It correlates to the UK National Curriculum. It provides a gateway for students to progress to higher ICT qualification levels equivalent to UK IGCSE / O-Level or GCE A-Level set according to the UK National Curriculum. The learning objectives of the Starter syllabus also meet the Texas technology standards at the Elementary and Middle School level (Texas’ technology standards are followed by the whole of the US). Therefore, students can be assessed reliably against performance standards set in an international context, which is an advantage when applying for school placement, encourages the students to obtain wider ICT skills, and last, but not least strengthens the students’ confidence.
Year 3 – ICT
We cover the following units
- Unit 1 – “Starting with text”
- Unit 3 – “Starting graphs”
- Unit 6 – Starting email”
- Unit 5 – “Starting searches”
- Introduce Students to programming (Unit 4 – “Starting programming”). The students will briefly look at MSW Logo and Minecraft.
Below there are details of what Year 3 covers in the First Semester. It is loosely based on Unit 4 – “Starting programming”.
- The rules of the ICT room
- Introduction to programming using MSW Logo. (Please see the MSW Logo Course)
- Teach Tynker
- Teach Minecraft – Students work through Voyage Aquatic and Hero’s Journey
- Introduction to Scratch (Please see the Scratch Course)
- Introduction to the School LMS, how to attach a document to an email, and how to send an email.
Below there are details of what Year 3 covers in the Second Semester. It is loosely based on Unit 5 – “Starting Searches”.
- Teach students terminology related to browsers (Home button, back, forward, etc.)
- Teach students how to use Google
- Using the Kids Helpline website to research E-Safety
- Students are introduced to Powerpoint
- Students create a Powerpoint slideshow on E-Safety
- Creating two Avatars using Cartoonify
- Using the two avatars to create an animated GIF using Imgflip
- Students create a Powerpoint slideshow called “All about me”.
- Insert the animated GIF into the Powerpoint slideshow “All about me”. I introduce students to slide transitions, animations, etc.
- Use the animated GIF on any profile pictures on the Internet (Facebook, Gmail, School LMS, etc.) to keep children safe
- Google tools – Google advanced search tools, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides, sharing, downloading, etc.
- List all the electrical appliances in a student’s home. Using Google tools to create a Google Slides presentation about the impact of technology.
- Open Microsoft Excel and introduce students to Spreadsheets terminology
- Get students to format the cells in a number of different ways (Border, cell, currency, date, etc.). Get students to create an Excel file about “Autofill”. So students can see how Excel can be used for any repeating patterns or mathematical sequences, etc.
- Upload the Excel spreadsheet into Google Sheets. Explore Google sheets. Finish the “autofill” exercise and share it with the teacher.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 25
- Assessments Yes